So, you’ve decided to go caravanning, whether it be a cheeky getaway weekend or a full caravanning holiday with the family, and you’ve got your caravan to go away in. However, you now might be wondering ‘what should I take away in my caravan?’ Luckily, we’ve compiled this handy list with everything you would want & need to take away with you! So without further ado, let’s jump into this!
Not To Be Left At Home!
In this section we’re going to cover the items that you absolutely need to take with you on your caravanning adventure! The first item on this list is water containers! Essential for storing both clean and dirty onsite, these containers come in a variety of sizes and shapes, however the circular barrel ones are highly recommended by many members of the caravanning community, due to their ease of transport across rugged terrain. Next up is your towing kit. This should include towing wing mirrors, power drill and adapter (for raising and lowering caravanning equipment) and your hitching lock. Next up is your gas cylinders for the caravan. Always remember to make sure that you have gas though before setting off! Luckily, gas cylinders can be picked up in a wide variety of shops, however it’s best to ensure you have this before leaving! Finally, the last thing to remember to bring is bedding, however make sure to bring the right bedding for the caravan layout you have, whether that be fitted sheets or a sleeping bag, this is definitely something you don’t want to leave at home!
Now what you classify as living essentials may change depending on who is coming away with you. For example, if you’re using a caravan trip as a romantic getaway, you may just choose to bring 2 chairs, whereas if you’re going with friends or family, especially if you’re meeting them at the site, you’ll need to ensure to bring enough equipment for them all throughout the trip. However, here are a few ideas for things to bring away with you:
- Washing line so you can hang your clothes out and save on dryer fees!
- Bath towels and wash kits!
- Electrical hook up cables to be able to access power
- Awning and awning organiser to help give yourself a bit more space.
- Breathable ground sheet and caravan step
- An outdoor rug
- Foldable chairs and table, to create a comfortable environment.
- Lighting, whatever sort it be, from camping lanterns to fairy lights!
- A speaker to play music from, ideal for a relaxed evening drinking around a BBQ. Check out this list here for a list of the best speakers to take camping!
What cooking equipment you’ll need to bring will be dependent on how you’re planning to cook. If you plan to use a stove more, you’ll want to bring a greater selection of pots and pans, whereas if you’re planning on BBQing more, you’ll want to opt to bring a wider selection of BBQ tools. However, below are a few ideas that would be a good idea to bring regardless of how you’re planning to cook:
- Cutlery and plates
- Cooking utensils including spoons, spatulas and knives
- Can Opener
- Bottle opener
- Pots and pans
- BBQ equipment – even if it’s just a disposable BBQ, you can’t really have a caravanning holiday without one BBQ somewhere! For all the BBQ enthusiasts out there, check out this list for the best portable BBQs of 2021!
- Washing up items such as sponges, soap and a bowel to wash up in.
These recreational items are also heavily dependent on who you’re going with and what you intend to do when you’re there. For example, if you plan to engage in a hobby while you’re there such as tennis, you’ll want to bring the necessary equipment along with you. However, if you’re not sure what to do or don’t have a lot planned, then here are a few suggestions to take with you:
- A football or tennis ball for ball games.
- Beach towel and shorts to go and enjoy a day at the beach
- Walking boots and coat, to go and explore the local area.
- Playing cards or card games for the evening or a rainy day. Check out this list here for some ideas!
- Lots of spare change for any nearby arcades!